[Vm-dev] Some Performance Numbers: Java vs. CogVM vs. SOM

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Fri Apr 10 13:17:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi Levente:
>
>> On 07 Apr 2015, at 22:57, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:
>>
>> Answering some of my own questions:
>
> Sorry, didn’t find time earlier.
>
>> No, the code doesn't work out of the box in Pharo. I had to change SomAll’s superclass from Object to SomBenchmarkHarness.
>
> Ehm, I think I did not even port SomAll. That’s an empty class?
>
>> No, SomPageRank doesn't run on Pharo either. It gets into an infinite loop, because #generateRandomPagesN:outLinks:divisor: is evaluated with n = 1, and that makes the following loop infinite:
>
> That’s a bug in the original code. Yes. I didn’t fix it.
>
> Not sure how you even execute the code, since I didn’t document anything… Sorry.

I simply tried #run. E.g.: SomPageRank new run. This gave an error,
because SomAll doesn't implement this and that, but it seemed like
SomBenchmarkHarness does, so I simply changed SomAll to be a subclass of
SomBenchmarkHarness.

> But, the general idea is to execute it from the command line.
>
> From within the image, you can execute it with:
>   SomBenchmarkHarness new run: { ''. 'PageRank'. '10'. '0'. ‘5' }.
>
> On the command line it would look something like:
>   $yourVM $yourImage SomBenchmarkHarness  PageRank 500 0 1
>
> (Assuming that the Scripting package is loaded).
> Sorry, am currently traveling. Will try to create a proper configuration when I am back.

Smalltalk at: #ScriptConsole put: String new writeStream. did it for me.

Levente