[Vm-dev] Some Performance Numbers: Java vs. CogVM vs. SOM

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Fri Apr 10 13:45:26 UTC 2015

Hi Tim:

> On 10 Apr 2015, at 15:13, timfelgentreff <timfelgentreff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We guessed JSON may be bad because we never looked at string performance.

Ok, sounds plausible. Indeed Json uses purely Strings for everything.

> I haven't checked RTruffleSOM in a while, but one issue that affects RSqueak
> (as well as Cog to some extent, I imagine) is that the interrupt timer. For
> us, it adds a couple of guards and bridges to pretty much every loop.

Ok, right. Yes, that’s going to cost performance.
Perhaps, you should have a proper ‘headless/event-less’ execution mode for benchmarking ;)

> SOM doesn’t have an interactive image, does it?

No, no images, no UI, no event handling. It’s really just a straight forward sequential language.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr