[Vm-dev] ARM Cogit

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:15:53 UTC 2015

Hi Holger,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de>
wrote:

> > On 22 Apr 2015, at 14:42, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >     thanks to hard work by Tim Rowledge and Lars Wasserman we now have a
> functional JIT for the ARM in the simulator.  We're still probably some
> weeks away from a functional ARM JIT VM; issues like instruction cache
> flushing on real hardware can be tricky to solve.  But we're at least ready
> to start trying to compile the JIT VM for ARM.  Doug, see that I added a
> build directory for build.linux32ARM/squeak.cog.spur.  Hopefully a fast VM
> for Raspberry Pi and Android is only a few weeks away.
>
> tricky in which sense? The Linux kernel offers a syscall (cacheflush)
> where one
> provides the start page and end page and GCC provides a builtin function
> for this
> as well (__clear_cache).

 that's good news.  It wasn't always that easy.  When we got the ARM JIT
working for VisualWorks we had to use hand-rolled code to flush the cache
as linux didn't provide a reliable function at that time.  So perhaps we're
closer than we think.  But it's always wise to lengthen time estimates, not
shorten them :-)

holger

--
best,