[Vm-dev] Re: Interfacing with the i/o pins on the Raspberry Pi et al

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:37:38 UTC 2015

I am using sockets for my implementation since its simpler to code. But
that impose some speed limit, its ok for invoking code that responds down
to a milisecond but if your goal is microsecond then a C lib would make
more sense. There was a guy doing it this way with nativeboost (which AFAIK
does not work on Squeak but you could use the Squeak FFI) but not for
Python but for the R programming language.

Bare in mind that a lot of python libraries contain python code , so they
not just C++ wrappers .

It makes more sense to invoke python libs from python .

Thats what I did with my implementation, I let python run its own libraries
and my project all it does is say to python what to do. This way I can use
any python library from Pharo. There is some extra care that should be
taken with libraries that mess with threads , I had my issues for example
using pyQT but thats the usual issues you have with threading and
concurrent programming.

Most Python libraries use the Python C API which can wrap C and C++ for
python, gives you the ability to manage refernce counting which is what
cpython uses for its GC and wrap C/C++ types to python objects.

I have been recommended to use openQwaq implementation for running python
scripts but the documentation and the code was not so clear and I decided
to implement my own. Also my goal was to make writting python code optional
for users. I prefer using python libraries as if they are pharo libraries
which I managed to do with some basic regex parsing and overiding MNU ;)