[Vm-dev] pharo-vm-spur status & strategy

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Aug 13 16:54:37 UTC 2015

>From the github network graph for pharo-vm
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm/network ...

* I see pharo-vm-spur branch was forked from pharo-vm-master by
Esteban ~ July 2014 with lots of commits to align with and keep
synchronised with Eliot's Cog trunk

* I presume Esteban's pharo-vm-spur branch will become the 64-bit-VM
for Pharo 5?

* What is the plan for the current pharo-vm-master branch? Will it be
retagged pharo-vm-legacy?  I see ongoing commits (mostly libgit?) to
the (presumed)-pharo-vm-legacy, which sparks the questions:

    ** Is it feasible to merge pharo-vm-legacy into pharo-vm-spur?
Maybe we'll need to cherrypick commits?  (Actually later I noticed
pharo-project/pharo-vm

    ** At what point would it make sense for people to start
contributing to pharo-vm-spur rather than pharo-vm-legacy

* When should Esteban's spur branch be pulled into the official
pharo-project/pharo-vm repository (continuing tagged as spur)?
Possibly making it more inviting for other to contribute to that
branch?

------------
On a slightly different track...

* Regarding the work on CMakeVMMaker. Was that was somewhat based off
PharoVMMaker? How feasible is it to merge PharoVMMaker into
CMakeVMMaker and retire PharoVMMaker ?

* How is the synchronising between Cog svn repo and pharo-vm git repo
currently being done?  Is something like git-svn run manually?

* I remember one major concern with moving CogVM trunk to github was
learning new tools. I just noticed subversion clients can work
directly with github to support hybrid teams [2] [3].  Any interest in
exploring that?

[2] https://github.com/blog/1178-collaborating-on-github-with-subversion
[3] https://github.com/blog/966-improved-subversion-client-support

cheers -ben