[Vm-dev] pharo-vm-spur status & strategy
btc at openinworld.com
Thu Aug 13 16:54:37 UTC 2015
>From the github network graph for pharo-vm
* I see pharo-vm-spur branch was forked from pharo-vm-master by
Esteban ~ July 2014 with lots of commits to align with and keep
synchronised with Eliot's Cog trunk
* I presume Esteban's pharo-vm-spur branch will become the 64-bit-VM
for Pharo 5?
* What is the plan for the current pharo-vm-master branch? Will it be
retagged pharo-vm-legacy? I see ongoing commits (mostly libgit?) to
the (presumed)-pharo-vm-legacy, which sparks the questions:
** Is it feasible to merge pharo-vm-legacy into pharo-vm-spur?
Maybe we'll need to cherrypick commits? (Actually later I noticed
** At what point would it make sense for people to start
contributing to pharo-vm-spur rather than pharo-vm-legacy
* When should Esteban's spur branch be pulled into the official
pharo-project/pharo-vm repository (continuing tagged as spur)?
Possibly making it more inviting for other to contribute to that
On a slightly different track...
* Regarding the work on CMakeVMMaker. Was that was somewhat based off
PharoVMMaker? How feasible is it to merge PharoVMMaker into
CMakeVMMaker and retire PharoVMMaker ?
* How is the synchronising between Cog svn repo and pharo-vm git repo
currently being done? Is something like git-svn run manually?
* I remember one major concern with moving CogVM trunk to github was
learning new tools. I just noticed subversion clients can work
directly with github to support hybrid teams  . Any interest in
More information about the Vm-dev