[Vm-dev] Minimum 32-bit libs for Ubuntu

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Aug 21 14:43:44 UTC 2015

>  Hi David,
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 04:52:45PM -0300, Javier Pim??s wrote:
>> >
>> > cool! did apt-get tell which libraries were missing?
>>
>> I don't think that apt-get showed what was missing, although the
>> 'ldd vm-display-X11.so' command that Craig suggested did identify the
>> missing libraries. I still had a hard time relating those libraries to
>> the actual :i386 packages that needed to be installed, and in the end I
>> just followed your advice of loading the Pharo vm package. This worked
>> fine, and it also installed a couple of pharo VMs that I am happy to
>> have on my system.
>>
>> So I still do not know what is the "Minimum 32-bit libs for Ubuntu"
>> but I guess I don't really need to worry about that. It works now
>> and I am happy.
>>

> Please add your best recollection of what to add to the
> build.linux32x86/HowToBuild file.  Pretty please :-)

Hi Eliot,

I'm afraid that I do not really know what all got loaded. All I can say
for sure is that I was having trouble locating the right GL package to
load on this version of Ubuntu, and that the Pharo VM package loaded up
enough stuff to provide the required 32-bit runtimes.

Note that this is a runtime library (not *-dev) issue, and it is more of
an Ubuntu distro question than a VM question. I have not yet tried a
Cog/Spur build on that laptop (although I did do the interpreter build in
both 32 and 64 bit variations, so it should work).