[Vm-dev] VM team proposal: Remove class DSAPlugin from VMMaker, add package CryptographyPlugins (was: Crypto plugins for ubuntu 32-bits)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 8 03:46:13 UTC 2015

Proposal:

Remove DSAPlugin from VMMaker (trunk and oscog both), and refer instead
to the version in the Cryptography repository. This enables inclusion
of three other Cryptography plugins from that repository, and also puts
responsibility for ongoing maintenance of the DSAPlugin with the
Cryptography team.

Additional background is in Mantis:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5228 "0005228: Include Cryptographic Primitives in Base VM - DESPlugin"

Explanation:
There are four plugins in the CryptoPlugins in the Cryptography repository
on squeaksource.com:

  DESPlugin
  DSAPlugin
  MD5Plugin
  SHA256Plugin

The DSAPlugin is also provided by package VMMaker-Plugins in the VMMaker
on source.squeak.org.

The oscog and trunk versions of DSAPlugin are identical in VMMaker. The
CryptoPlugins version differs only in some method time stamps, and one
cosmetic difference (for which the CryptographyPlugin version would be
preferred). Generated code is identical for all three.

All four of the Cryptography plugins compile cleanly for both 32-bit and
64-bit host, with no platform source requirements.

DSAPlugin is already included as an internal plugin in all unix VM
distributions (interpreter/Cog/Spur), and the other three appear to
pose no problems (although I have not tested except to verify clean
compilation).

Acceptance of this proposal means that we will do the following:

1) Delete class DSAPlugin from VMMaker and VMMaker.oscog.
2) For trunk/interpreter VMMaker, update the configuration map to pull in the CryptographyPlugins package from squeaksource.
3) Make equivalent updates for oscog so that the Cog/Spur builds use the Cryptography version
4) Make any additional updates required for Pharo VM
5) Add DESPlugin, MD5Plugin, and SHA256Plugin to the various VM builds.

If there are no objections to this proposal, I will proceed with step 1.

I would like to get positive confirmation from Eliot before proceding,
because I do not want to add unnecessary confusion to the current
Cog/Spur development work.

Thanks,
Dave