[Vm-dev] bulid.squeak.org puzzlement

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 10 02:36:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 02:40:36PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, since Dave mentioned a build issue a week or so ago I followed his link to see what it was reporting; I???m not any sort of expert at the autobuild/test stuff so I really don???t know what goes on.
>
> I was puzzled to see that build 1318 failed and yet claimed no changes from 1317 which succeeded. This seems a touch odd. Just wondering...

Speaking strictly with regards to the InterpreterVM job on on build.squeak.org:

When VMMaker and SVN sources are healthy, this job will succeed most of the
time, but not always.

If box3.squeak.org is slow or bogged down for some reason, the job may get
killed by the watchdog that I put in the VM builder image, or by the timeout
in Jenkins. I can't explain the reason, but it happens.

CommandShell/OSProcess is not 100% reliable, and sometimes the build
script gets wedged for reasons that I cannot explain.

Sometimes the whole Jenkins thing gets bogged down with some Java thing
eating up the system. If that happens, I restart the whole system with
"sudo /etc/init.d jenkins restart" which seems to make the problem go away
without of course addressing root cause.

In this case, job run #1318 failed with a watchdog timeout, and the next
run #1319 succeeded, for no particular reason in either case.

That said, most of the time when box3 is running reasonably well, and when
there are no problems in VMMaker or the corresponding SVN sources, the job
will succeed. If it fails once, I don't worry. I do look at the console
output from the failed run, and if it seems to be failing during the
make step, or if it fails continuously for a few days, then I start to
suspect that someone may have committed something either VMM or SVN that
is causing a problem.

FWIW, this particular Jenkins claims to be doing the following:

  Update to bleeding edge VM platforms sources and VMMaker Smalltalk code.
  Generate C code for interpreter VM. Configure and build on this machine
  to verify source integrity. Create a tarball of sources for a Unix
  interpreter VM suitable for building on a Unix/Linux machine.

  Official releases of source tarballs and compiled Squeak VMs for Unix
  are at http://squeakvm.org/unix/.

  This Jenkins project is maintained by Dave Lewis (lewis at mail.msen.com)