[Vm-dev] Re: looking for an image file

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 11 14:20:06 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:19:20PM -0500, Robert Withers wrote:

> I do need to hit up 4.6. But also, the newest interpreter is for image
> version 6505 and the updated image is 6521. I am not sure howe to proceed..

For an explanation of the various image formats, load package ImageFormat
from SqueakMap. Read the class comment first, then look at the class
side utility methods. Examples:

  ImageFormat versionDescriptions do: [:e | Transcript cr; show: e]

  (ImageFormat fromFile: Smalltalk imageName) description

Loosely speaking, Squeak 4.6 is image format 6405, and works with Cog
and interpreter VMs. Squeak 5.0 and trunk are image format 6521, and
work with Spur.

Dave