[Vm-dev] Re: platforms/unix/vm-display-X11.c revision 3499 breaks use of fullscreen on Pi

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 17 01:20:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 04:32:54PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 16-12-2015, at 4:25 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> > I???m peering at the file trying to see if I can spot anything missing but it???s not very likely I can solve this one without an X-pert.
>
> OK, it seems to me that the state of the `fullscreenDirect` flag is inverted? If I deliberately set it then my fullscreen mode works.

Hi Tim,

I made that update, so I'm responsible if it needs fixing.

The background is on http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7833

The original logic for handling fullscreen mode was written by Ian quite
a while ago, and it works fine almost everywhere. If fullscreenDirect is
set true (via the VM command line parameter recently added), then you are
using Ian's original logic as intended by its author.

Unfortunately, there is a certain Linux distribution in wide circulation
that has an apparently buggy window manager for X11, and that window manager
does not handle returning from fullscreen mode correctly. Various kludgy
workarounds were proposed by people like me, but Nicolai Hess ultimately
came up with a good new approach that uses X window manager hints (i.e. ask
the window manager to do the work, rather than try to do it yourself).
That worked with the <vendor name deleted> buggy Linux distribution, and
seemed to work properly with any other window manager that I could think
of, except for very old window managers that nobody was likely to ever
be using.

Therefore: I integrated Nicolai's new strategy as the default, and provided
the -fullscreenDirect command line option to force use of the original
logic in the (so I thought) extremely unlikely event that anyone in this
millenium might still be using a window manager that required it.

So what window manager is rasbian using? Does it work properly when you
run the VM with -fullscreenDirect on the command line?