[Vm-dev] OT: Convince me github is a wise choice

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Dec 17 17:37:25 UTC 2015

> On 17 Dec 2015, at 18:29, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben, Hi All,
>

> Ah, that's interesting.  So my concern is whether github is a safe long-term bet.  Specifically what is there to prevent some third party from buying github, or of github going public and the board taking the decision, or github on its own, deciding to charge for hosting, keeping the data hostage to extract payment?  What safeguards are in place to prevent this?  I'm not interested in "this will never happen" arguments.  I'm interested in hard data please.

1.) You will lose bug reports (if you decide to use bugtracker)
2.) You will lose comments/discussion on pull requests
3.) You might lose the wiki content
4.) Unless you and nobody else in this community has the git tree you lose the history of
the project.

1.) You might decide not to use their bug tracker?
2.) You might decide not to use the pull request workflow or risk losing some context that
is outside the commit message, change.
3.) Don't use it then.
4.) One can mitigate by either automatically synchronising the repo to another place or
by having the primary somewhere else (which makes 2nd more hard than it should be).

=> long term. Keep a backup of the repo (and with git you always have that anyway) and
if they kick everyone out, push it to another server.

I hope this helps.

	holger

PS: For my C level GSM stuff we run our own git infrastructure on git.osmocom.org and
github is mirroring some of the repos to github.com/osmocom. This way people can discover
our sources more easily, we discover 'forks' but right now we don't use the pull request system
at all.