[Vm-dev] OT: Convince me github is a wise choice

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:08:44 UTC 2015

" Specifically what is there to prevent some third party from buying
github, or of github going public and the board taking the decision, or
github on its own, deciding to charge for hosting, keeping the data hostage
to extract payment?  What safeguards are in place to prevent this?  I'm not
interested in "this will never happen" arguments.  I'm interested in hard
data please."

On the same note

Specifically what is there to prevent a new fork or a new language
appearing that make people mostly abandon if not completely abandon Pharo
and Squeak ? What safeguards are the there to prevent this ? I am not
interested in "this will never happen" arguments. I'm interested in hard
data please.

Actually my scenario is far more likely than yours but lets say your
happen. First you need to realise that Github already gives unlimited file
size for every github repo and they have have been without exaggeration the
roof for most open source software out there. But lets say this happens.

Even if that happens there will be like a ton of candidates out there to
jump on the opportunity to do what github already does . Why ? Money and of
course popularity. And no most likely you wont lose your github data. First
of all Github already offers an API that allow you to get all sort of
Github data and not only that you can do things that git is normally doing.
For example you can commit, merge pull request, resolve conflicts all that
without even having git installed in your system. But even without taking
that into consideration the new candidates most likely will offer some kind
of immigration of project from github to their website.

In any case its care to note here that not every company sucks big time as
Google does, and not every company is kings of abandonware like google is.
Github has been listening and respecting its users for a long time. In the
end everything dies or at least gets far less popular, this will happen to
github as it happened to Squeak as it will happen to Pharo and as it
happens to tons of diffirent kinds of technology. Anyone that things that
is immune , is crazy or knows something we dont.

The reason for moving to github based on hard data ? the undeniable fact
that github is awesome should be enough. Nothing lasts forever, deal with
it.