[Vm-dev] Spur 3248 or 3236?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:36:47 UTC 2015

Hi Chris,

On Feb 9, 2015, at 10:03 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot, should I prefer 3248 over 3236?  Thanks.

yes.  In general the more up-to-date the better.  3248 fixed a bad bug in Spur image segments.  I'm currently hunting a timing-related bug with StringTest>>#testIndexOf that is the last bug I'm aware of with Spur.  There will be a new VM as soon as I can find and fix it.

Also some time this year I need to implement the incremental global GC which will likely introduce instabilities until it's fully shaken down.

Other than that things are looking good. Spur is now the standard Newspeak VM and it has been deployed to customers at Cadence.  So fingers crossed I find this bug soon and things settle down.

Again thanks for your help. You've been by far the major source of Squeak testing (except for my own limited usage).  It wouldn't be as stable as it is without you.

best
Eliot