[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] Reducing the activity of the image

John McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Feb 10 18:34:57 UTC 2015

It's a bit more complicated and what platform you are on does matter. Just
hunt in the squeak mailing list 10 years back for getNextWakeupTick

Possibly the mac vm still calls getNextWakeupTick() which returns the next
time the VM has to wake up to service a delay pop.
Normally that is less than 1/50 of a second out due to the Morphic polling
cycle, say 16 - 20 milliseconds.

The idea I had was to sleep until the VM needs to wakeup since when
the ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds
is made we know we can sleep and the VM knows exactly when the next time to
wake up is. Unfortunately we have to deal with user interrupts (i/o sockets
ui)

Some platforms might use nanosleep() (#if defined(HAVE_NANOSLEEP)) which
might wake when a socket interrupt arrives, but I've never confirmed that.
Anyway off then to call aioPoll() where the bulk of the cpu is consumed. I
note that obviously avoiding calling aioPoll() will affect socket
performance of course.
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/unix/vm/aio.c

I note you can't properly calculate next wakeup tick in smalltalk code due
to the rather brittle code base in the Delay logic. Attempts I made a
decade back always resulted in a deadlock situation, which is why that
calculation is done in the VM. I had last taken a serious look at this back
in 2010 and found very strange oddities such as calling
ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds
yet a wakeup time is now, or in the past.. Obviously one needed to explore
the stack traces to understand why no process was runnable, yet a process
was scheduled to be woken...

Anyway compare ioRelinquishProcessorForMicroseconds
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/platforms/iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqMacV2Time.c

Against whatever is being compiled for your target platform VM and what
exactly HAVE_NANOSLEEP is when the VM is compiled.
Also check idle CPU usage for say a OS X Squeak 4.2.5 VM against I'm assume
a unix vm flavor as you can run both on the same os-x machine for
comparison using the same image/etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk