[Vm-dev] About allInstances and allObjects in Spur

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:47:03 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

I remember a discussion from january 2014 where it was said that the
following primitives:
- someObject
- nextObject
- someInstance
- nextInstance
did not make sense in Spur as they expect an ordering of objects. I think
it was suggested to replace them with the primitives:
- allObjects 178
- allInstances 177

I saw that the implementation of allObjects and allInstances are in the
repository. Now at image-level, in squeak 4.5 and Pharo 4, allObjectsDo:
still uses nextObject and someObject.

So I am wondering, should we change the image-side implementation of
allObjectsDo: to use primitive 178 allObjects ? If so, does it work in the
V3 memory manager (when I tried it didn't work but it may be my VM) ?

Best,

Clement