[Vm-dev] why is my spur image taking up so much memory?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:05:38 UTC 2015

I did a

   SpaceTally new systemWideSpaceTally explore

and, inside that

   (self inject: 0 into: [ : sum : each | sum + each
spaceForInstances]) asBytesDescription    "===>  152M"

And yet,

   (Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 3) asBytesDescription  "===> 677M"

Ubuntu's "System Monitor" shows it taking "306.8 MiB" which is how big
the file is on disk.

So, its either 152MB, 677M, or 306M depending on who you ask.

I was trying to get my image size cut down, I've never had this
problem before -- where the SpaceTally reports total objects reports
only a fraction compared to the actual consumption of the image...