[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] CommandLine handler and UTF8 path

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 22:25:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu>
wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> > On 20 Jan 2015, at 20:38, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <sven at stfx.eu>
> wrote:
> > Command line arguments enter the image level via
> VirtualMachine>>#getSystemAttribute:
> >
> > At that point they are already Strings.
> >
> > ByteString, according to the primitive.  So if the shell supplies e.g.
> UTF-8 strings for command-line parameters, which the VM sees as bytes, then
> the ByteString instances answered by getSystemAttribute: would need
> decoding, right?
> >
> > In your case, they must already be wrong at that point.
> >
> > Not necessarily.  The  getSystemAttribute: primitive doesn't do
> decoding.  Perhaps it should.
>
> Yes, probably. I just tried on Mac OS X, Pharo 4:
>
> $ export FOO=élève-Français
>
> $ echo $FOO
> élève-Français
>
> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval 'OSPlatform current environment at: #FOO'
> 'élève-Français'
>
> $ ./pharo Pharo.image eval '(OSPlatform current environment at: #FOO)
> asByteArray utf8Decoded'
> 'élève-Français'
>
> The question is, is this true for all platforms ? Windows ?

I'm trying to test this in Pharo 3.  I get

KeyNotFound: key #FOO not found in PlatformIndependentEnvironment
PlatformIndependentEnvironment(OSEnvironment)>>at: in Block: [ KeyNotFound
signalFor: aKey ]
UndefinedObject>>ifNil:
PlatformIndependentEnvironment(OSEnvironment)>>at:ifAbsent:
PlatformIndependentEnvironment(OSEnvironment)>>at:
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
OpalCompiler>>evaluate
OpalCompiler(AbstractCompiler)>>evaluate:
SmalltalkImage>>evaluate:
EvaluateCommandLineHandler>>evaluate: in Block: [ ...
BlockClosure>>on:do:

Does the environment access depend on NativeBoost?

--
best,
Eliot