[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo 64bit planned?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 23:31:58 UTC 2015

Hi David,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:22 PM, David <stormbyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did not see any progress over the time in making a (stable) release
> of pharo in 64 bit flavor.
>
> For servers, it is a common practice (and also a good one if no 32bit
> executables are planned) to completelly disable 32bit support (by not
> compiling any library in 32bit, disabling emulation of 32bit in
> kernel), and also performance, as under 64bit, 32bit code runs slightly
> slower.
>
> The above make enough reasons to make it interesting to have a 64bit
> version of pharo, but... Is it intended/in progress? Or nothing really
> at the moment?

64-bit development of Spur is in progress.  There is a somewhat functional
64-bit Squeak Spur image and a functional Linux 64-bit Stack interpreter.
Coincidentally I'm currently working on an input event processing bug which
only occurs in the real VM.  You may know that the next release of Pharo
(Pharo 6?) is intended to be a Spur release.  Esteban Lorenzano is working
on the Pharo Spur bootstrap.  I am working in Squeak and my priorities are
first, to get the Spur Squeak 64-bit image working fully on the Stack
Interpreter and then to work on an x64 JIT VM.  I expect that by the time
Pharo 6 is ready to release, the 64-bit version will also be ready.

Hope this helps.
--
best, Eliot