[Vm-dev] Re: ARM Cog progress

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jun 6 17:30:52 UTC 2015

On 06-06-2015, at 10:03 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Except that in 64-bits don't we end up with 6 cycles (2 x MOVT/H plus a shift and an add, or maybe 5 cycles if MOVT/H leave other bits undisturbed) vs 2 for the out-of-line literal load?  In which case, the out-of-line is a clear win for 64-bits and that's likely our most important target, given the ubiquity of smart phones.

Let’s not forget that the v8 ARMs can (apparently) happily do 32bit data stuff; even the rotates and shifts can behave correctly for 32 bit. So we could use the same 32 bit image format and save some space, which may have some value for small machines like phones.

I can’t believe I’m referring to things with quadcore 64 bit cpus and 1/2/4Gb ram as small machines...

tim
Strange OpCodes: CMN: Convert to Mayan Numerals