[Vm-dev] ARM Cog progress

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Jun 7 23:50:59 UTC 2015

On 07-06-2015, at 11:51 AM, Holger Freyther <holger at freyther.de> wrote:

> Tim is in the believe that the C compiler is wrong. From my experience in most
> cases (yes, I have seen miscompilation on ARM as well) it is the compiler. The
> right way is to understand what is actually wrong and then point fingers. This is
> why I challenged Tim.

I’ve a bit of experience in using C & gcc on ARM to do Smalltalk things; something around 30 years at a guess, and pretty much none of it has endeared me to it. The NorCroft C compiler as used on RISC OS hasn’t  ever messed me around in the way gcc frequently does. YMMV.

But yes, there is almost certainly something in the source code that has triggered this but since it runs on x86 ok and the *same* executable runs on a Pi B, I’m definitely tending to the ‘damn gcc bites me again’ direction.

tim
Programmers do it bit by bit.