[Vm-dev] [SPUR] ImageSegment>>#restoreEndianess works head-ful but not head-less, why?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Jun 29 14:54:37 UTC 2015

Dear all,

the current Squeak Trunk on Spur is crashing with a 'Recursive not understood error encountered'
in ImageSegment>restoreEndianness. (See http://build.squeak.org/job/SqueakTrunkOnSpur/608/console)

However, running this thing not headless as jenkins but headful, the indicated test does not crash there.

The only thing I noticed is that restoreEndianess relies on the total temporal order of objects:

	object := segment.
	[object := object nextObject.  "all the way to the end of memory to catch remade objects"
		object == endMarker ifTrue: [inSeg := false].	"off end"
		" .... "
		object == 0] whileFalse.

I cannot understand where a recursive dNU should appear here or why it should work
with X but not without.

I am truly puzzled.

I know that ImageSegments are a tad tied to the V3 Memory layout, but nevertheless, I think
spur shouldn't choke that hard on them…

Best regards
	-Tobias