[Vm-dev] [Q] I wish know status of Vm for multicore processors.

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:41:54 UTC 2015

Can you be more precise ? Do you want a research VM or a production ready
VM ? Does your question mean: is there a VM working on such hardware or is
there a VM working and making use of all the cores on such hardware ?

Let's say you want a VM using all the Cores of your hardware:

If you want a research-like VM, you can look into the Roar VM
<https://github.com/smarr/RoarVM>. It's a VM for computer with lots of
cores, it will make efficient use of all the cores. It's running Squeak and
Pharo.

If you want a production ready VM, the general strategy applied now is to
have several images running in parallel communicating through sockets.
There's work being done in making the FFI multithreaded so that things such
as database access use several threads.

Now let's say you just want a VM running on such hardware, which is (I
think) ARMv9:

There's both ARMv6 and ARMv7 VM working. They should work on ARMv9 too but
most probably not everything will work out if the box (you may need to fix
some details such as FFI).

Clement