[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] Status of Pharo VM for FreeBSD

Andreas Wacknitz a.wacknitz at gmx.de
Wed Mar 11 16:55:34 UTC 2015

Hi Clement,

> Am 11.03.2015 um 09:23 schrieb Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> About the FreeBSD VM, Holger Freyther worked on it so he's the best person to answer. I think some people used it and it was at least partially working.
That’s my impression. The VMMaker contains some FreeBSD classes but I have the impression that they are not complete (and probably outdated).

> About your NativeBoost bug on openSolaris,  need more information:
>
> - Can you confirm that you use an intel processor on your openSolaris machine ? I assume that yes but I ask because solaris were typically running on other processors. NativeBoost, as of today, works only with intel processor.

Yes, my Sun Ultra 24 is an Intel based Workstation (Q9300).

PharoVM from "branch 'master' of https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm <https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm>" (thus Cog VM).

> - What are you doing with NativeBoost ? Is it FFI only or are you generating and executing hand-written machine code ? If it's FFI only, there might be alternative available working more or less out of the box.
The Pharo image is using NativeBoost. If I open a File Browser on a network share (NFS) it tries to resolve environment variables (eg. HOME) by means of NativeBoost.

Regards
Andreas