[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] pharo headless and without gui. Seaside app

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Fri Mar 13 18:52:04 UTC 2015

There is WinMain in  sqWin32Intel.c

and

LRESULT CALLBACK MainWndProcW(HWND hwnd,
                              UINT message,
                              WPARAM wParam,
                              LPARAM lParam)

is in sqWin32Window.c

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18709403/winmain-vs-main-c

sqWin32Service.c has Windows service support but I don't know how this works.

In WinMain, we get this:

case 1: /* full usage */
      abortMessage(TEXT("%s"),
                   TEXT("Usage: " VM_NAME " [vmOptions] imageFile
[imageOptions]\n\n")
                   TEXT("vmOptions:")
           /* TEXT("\n\t-service: ServiceName \t(install Squeak as NT
service)") */
                   TEXT("\n\t--headless \t\t(force Squeak to run headless)")
                   TEXT("\n\t--timephases (print start load and run times)")
                   TEXT("\n\t--log: LogFile \t\t(use LogFile for VM messages)")

But the code appears to still exist...

parseVMArgument(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    /* flags */
    if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--help"))        {
        printUsage(1);
        return 1;
    }
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--version"))    { versionInfo();    return 1; }
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--headless")) { fHeadlessImage = true;
return 1; }
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--headfull")) { fHeadlessImage = false;
return 1;}
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--timephases")) {
        printPhaseTime(1);
        return 1;
    }
#ifdef  VISTA_SECURITY /* IE7/Vista protected mode support */
    /* started with low rights, use alternate untrustedUserDirectory */
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--lowRights")) { fLowRights = true; return 1; }
#endif /* VISTA_SECURITY */
#if (STACKVM || NewspeakVM) && !COGVM
    else if (!strcmp(argv[0], "--sendtrace"))
        { extern sqInt sendTrace; sendTrace = 1; return 1; }
#endif

    /* parameters */
    else if (argc > 1 && !strcmp(argv[0], "--service")) {
        installServiceName = argv[1];
        return 2;
    }
    else if (!strncmp(argv[0], "--service:", 9)) {
        installServiceName = argv[0] + 9;
        return 1;
    }
    else if (argc > 1 && !strcmp(argv[0], "--log")) {
        logName = argv[1];
        return 2;
    }
    else if (!strncmp(argv[0], "--log:", 5)) {
        logName = argv[0] + 5;
        return 1;
    }

But despite these options, there is no service nor headless thing working atm.

What is the basic thing to do to get Pharo running as a service?

I can compile the Windows VM, so, the next step would be to get this working.
Which I could do if pointed in a given direction by VM experts who are
in the know.

A lot of the Windows VM code is Andreas code but we need to take that
back into our hands.

Phil

--
---
Philippe Back

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast -
http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX
Value Added Reseller