[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: Status of Pharo VM for FreeBSD

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Mar 15 19:23:54 UTC 2015

Hi Eliot,

as promised I checked what I did and found something I changed:

The file platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c has the function void
ioUpdateVMTimezone().
It was changed to something similar to what is in Cog's
sqUnixITimerHeartbeat.c:

         void
         ioUpdateVMTimezone()
         {
             updateMicrosecondClock();
         #ifdef HAVE_TM_GMTOFF
             time_t utctt;
             utctt = (get64(utcMicrosecondClock) -
MicrosecondsFrom1901To1970)
                 / MicrosecondsPerSecond;
             vmGMTOffset = localtime(&utctt)->tm_gmtoff *
MicrosecondsPerSecond;
         #else
         # ifdef HAVE_TIMEZONE
                 extern time_t timezone, altzone;
                 extern int daylight;
                 vmGMTOffset = -1 * (daylight ? altzone : timezone) *
MicrosecondsPerSecond;
         # else
         # error "cannot determine timezone correction"
         # endif
         #endif
         }

One thing is striking: the call to updateMicrosecondClock() is here
before the #ifdef HAVE_TM_GMTOFF while
in sqUnixITimerHeartbeat.c it is after the #ifdef.
I don't know which one is correct (I may have copied it wrongly from
sqUnixITimerHeartbeat).
Albeit the one here seems to be correct in my eyes. What do you think?
(Side note: As far as I remember Solaris does not have tm_gmtoff and
thus the else part is being executed).

Regards
Andreas