[Vm-dev] Questions related to immutability in Cog

Ryan Macnak rmacnak at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:35:04 UTC 2015

Hi Clement,

Per object immutability was implemented in the old, pre-Cog Newspeak VM
(NewspeakInterpreter). It has not yet been implemented current Cog Newspeak
VM (Stack/CoInterpreter + NewspeakVM=true), but the necessary bit is
reserved in the object header. It was used as part of an orthogonal
synchronization scheme to detect changed objects: mark synchronized objects
as immutable, trap on change attempt, add to dirty list and mark as mutable
again. A marked object is only shallowly immutable, and its instance
variables may contain mutable objects.

Ryan