[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-rmacnak.1514.mcz

Ryan Macnak rmacnak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:23:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is impressive Ryan. Are you porting from Dart or are you doing the
> implementation using the MIPS instruction manual ?

I'm writing the simulator from the reference manual. The differences
between C and Smalltalk integers make a direct port of the Dart simulator
an error-prone exercise. And MIPS is very simple.

Why do you port to MIPS ? Is it an exercise or do you want to target a
> specific hardware for Newspeak ?

I don't have a specific piece of hardware in mind. Mostly, I want to be
able to say the Newspeak JIT runs everywhere that Android, Chrome OS and
Dart do.