[Vm-dev] How to successfully load latest VMMaker.oscog?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 19:19:39 UTC 2015

Hi Esteban,

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 6:23 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> sadly, building the VM is a complicated issue.
> and is even harder in windows.

At least building a VMMaker.oscog image is pretty easy now.  Provided you
have svn and either curl or wget available (curl on Mac OS X, wget
elsewhere, and wget is available from
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm, it is as simple as

$ svn co http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image
$ cd image
$ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh

Except that the Squeak 5.0 image update will break at some point, and
you'll get some warnings about serializing zero-sized diff versions, and
you'll get prompted for your initials.  But these are really easy to deal
with.  First dismiss the MNU and restart the update manually from the
Squeak menu, proceed through the zero-sized diff warning and Save and Quit,
then provide your initials when prompted.

For the pharo flavour, we have this, with all appropriate instructions:

--
best, Eliot