[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-dev] issue with large file path on windows

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:01:38 UTC 2015

Hi Nicolai,

    I have to say that the problem lies with the git integration.  The length of Smalltalk selectors is effectively unlimited and the language encourages Kong descriptive names.  Many (most?) unixes have a limitation of 256 characters in any path element and a PATH_MAX that may be as little as 1024.  So the current architecture is, for me, way too close to implementation limits.  IMO a far better design would be to use protocol names, all methods per protocol, eg Object.accessing or two files per class (instance & class side) with methods ordered by selector.  Either of those, but especially the last, should give good diff results in git but be well away from the implementation limit.  The one method per file, selector as file name approach is asking for trouble.