[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Re: Random forest in Pharo

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:03:38 UTC 2015

Hi Esteban,

On 10/19/2015 05:10 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just to be clear.
> When we talk about MTVM, we talk about a MT-FFI, *not* a MTVM in general.
> In general, a “common” approach to MT cannot be applied in Pharo (or Smalltalk in general) and to get a VM *and* an image working properly is an effort that makes what I called massive some mails above like a small stone compared to a mountain.

Could you please help me by talking further about the different models
and scopes of what is meant by MT?

a) MT-FFI I believe gives the developer a way to call and be invoked on
callback, asynchronously. Is it so?
b) General MTVM means other system services are threaded, like I/O
events and scheduling and heartbeat.

I think that the right model (my stack/priQueue/pool intuition?) will
change a Herculean task into a fairly straightfoward task and
achievable. Change the problem, to get better answers.

I appreciate you and this MT discussion.

> Said that:
>
> - What is in plans is MT-FFI, and that will be available eventually.
> - There is an approach I want to re-work, that would allow us profit of multicores without going multithread: the “hydra” experiment made some years ago by Igor creates a good basis to this. But is also a lot of of work (but a lot less than a complete MT), and not a real priority for now… I hope to resume work on that area some day… just not anytime soon.

Yes, please. I recall those discussions. Hydra is cosmological.

Regards,
Robert