[Vm-dev] a question about building ARM support code in processors

Robert Withers robert.w.withers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:23:27 UTC 2015

Hi Tim,

... ^^
robert

On 10/19/2015 09:00 AM, Tim Olson wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 6:22 AM, Robert Withers <robert.w.withers at gmail.com
> <mailto:robert.w.withers at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>>> You can then try running with the ARM simulator instead of the IA32
>>> simulator by uncommenting it and commenting the ISA IA32 back again.
>>>  However, you won’t get as far, as there are still problems with ARM
>>> simulation and Cog ARM code generation.
>>

>> How could I help with the simulation?
>
> I’ve ported the latest gdb version of the ARM simulator (gdb-7.10),
> which now includes support for VFP and other instructions that were
> missing from the gdb-7.6 version.  That’s now in the queue awaiting
> final check and inclusion in the distribution.  But there may likely be
> more debug work to get it running as well as the Bochs IA32 simulator.

Where may I find alpha code forks like this gdb-7.10 support code, if
just to practice building the lib and plugin. Perhaps I will be helpful
here, but I have a lot of reading to do first; do another breadth-first
scan, at some depth and with a little better awareness of all the
current goals.

> I did run into issues trying to build the linux32x86 version on my
> 64-bit Ubuntu system: there are a number of system libraries that don’t
> have support for multiarch which I had to include local version of, and
> I had to put in some “-m32” flags in the config scripts to force the
> build to be 32-bit.  Once the 64-bit Spur is stable, there will have to
> be some work to parameterize the simulator builds to build either 32-bit
> or 64-bit versions.

My first task is to build a 64-bit Ubuntu system and jump in immersively.

Thank you,

Robert