[Vm-dev] image install of ubuntu 64-bit has an issue

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:14:47 UTC 2015

> I am terribly sorry, Clément, I thought there was a 64-bit vm build that
> used 32-bit object memory and I was magically trying to build it. Yes, I
> was under the assumption that some sort of 64-bit VM would be built when I
> installed on a 64-bit machine. I still think it wise to go to 64-bit on the
> OS, so I can build and run 64-bit VMs, when it's time.
>
> Thanks for these commands, so helpful to me. In your 4th step I had to add
> libglapi-mesa:i386 as a dependency. I am adding these to my install notes.
>
> I am now getting these errors. I followed the instructions for changing
> proirity in the README, but this did not help. I saw this mentioned
> recently but an email search didn't turn up anything. Any words on this
> would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Robert
>
> rabbit at callisto:~/warren/cog/image$ ./buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh
> cogspurlinuxht/squeak trunk50.image UpdateSqueakTrunkImage.st
> pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted
> Read e.g. http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3427/README.3427
> cogspurlinuxht/squeak SpurVMMaker.image BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st
> pthread_setschedparam failed: Operation not permitted
> Read e.g. http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3427/README.3427

Hello,

I can think of two bugs related to your error:
- you are building the VM with the incorrect heartbeat for your OS (try
building in the build.itimerheartbeat folder instead of build folder)
- you need to run the VM in sudo mode for the VM profiler

What does the VM say when you try to run it in sudo mode ? Not that it's a
long term solution but at least we can try to figure the problem out.

Best