[Vm-dev] MadgwickAHRS plugin and support code (was: Building a linux/Pi library to call via FFI)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 13 16:46:04 UTC 2015

On 13-09-2015, at 8:26 AM, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately the distinction you make between static and dynamic
> linking is incorrect for GPL code [1][2], and true only for LGPL code.
>
> Now I notice that although [3] indicates the license is GPL, [3]
> points to original post [4] which was LGPL.   A little confusing since
> neither [3] nor [4] state a license in the C source files.  It seems
> [4] is the same author, so maybe its worth a polite query as to why
> the license changed from LGPL to GPL.
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic
> [2] http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html
> [3] http://www.x-io.co.uk/open-source-imu-and-ahrs-algorithms/
> [4] https://code.google.com/p/imumargalgorithm30042010sohm/

Ah, this brings back memories of arguing license for month after month….

To further confuse things, the madgwick code isn’t released as a library but rather just as some code to include in your own system. And the page for the c++ (hack, spit) version shows it as creative commons share-alike 3.0

And as an extra bit of excitement, I spotted a webpage where some corrections to the algorithm were mentioned along with a claim that the x-io site copies would be soon updated. Dating back at least a couple of years...

tim
Useful random insult:- If his IQ was two points higher he'd be a rock.