[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] issue with large file path on windows

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:45:31 UTC 2015

> On 15 Sep 2015, at 14:13, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:40:48AM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>
>> Pharo uses them.
>>
>> Posix permissions are useful for both linux and mac.
>> Windows uses also the posix permissions that came with MinGW??? I do not think they are useful but we provide them anyway :)
>

> Posix permissions are based on Unix, and are very platform specific. The
> Windows equivalents are semantically different, and other operating systems
> may exist that are not Unix based at all.
>
> IMO, platform specific functions should go into separate plugins, and not
> in FilePlugin.

well, I disagree :)
I do not find this approach practical… because in general, there is no other systems that may exist using other permissions than POSIX. Except Windows, of course, but even for windows, there are compatibility layers that we can use.
In the case of the FilePlugin extensions, we choose to stay POSIX because in general, as its been said before, the job of a virtual machine is been virtual: to provide an “abstract machine” common for everything in the image. I’m not saying that this is possible and even desirable in all cases, but it should be something to think about.
In that case, we could design a common file permissions different to the one of Windows and different to POSIX, but I think POSIX does the job just fine.

Also, the choice was: POSIX or nothing (because we didn’t have anything before).
I would be very happy if we agree in a better solution, and we implement it.
But in the mean time, a not perfect solution is better than none.

Esteban