[Vm-dev] unix nameToAddr() function appears to not work on Raspbian?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Sep 18 17:50:24 UTC 2015

On 17-09-2015, at 8:33 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> can you post the contents of /etc/hosts on your machine?

Well, it had very plain contents, the usual localhosts & ipv6 stuff and finally the actual machine name line with 127.0.0.1

Changing that to the ‘proper’ IP (since I have my router setup to give the same address every time by MAC matching I felt safe enough) makes things behave much better. But I understand this is not a proper way to do things since using dhcp and/or multiple networks etc might make it all go poof. So I’m puzzled since surely asking for an IP address for the machine is a common thing? The socket plugin code hasn’t changed in years so far as I can see which makes me think it used to just work; certainly it must have done so at some point, and I’m sure I remember getting sensible addresses on a Pi via Scratch in order to do the mesh networking. Very puzzling.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- APRES MOE LE DELUGE - Larry and Curly get wet