[Vm-dev] unix nameToAddr() function appears to not work on Raspbian?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 20 22:34:35 UTC 2015

On 19-09-2015, at 7:14 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

>  NetNameResolver addressesForName: ‘google.com'

[snip]

The annoying part there is that NetNameResolver addressesForName:’myPi’ quite clearly works out that myPi is the local host and then carefully returns 127.0.0.1 and no other.

> The #addressesForName: method is used to look up names such as 'localhost' or
> your local host name. Results will vary depending on network configuration,
> contents of /etc/hosts, and so forth.

And therein lies the rub; this used to work for the purpose of giving Scratch mesh network users a usable number but no longer does. It apparently used to work generally for most of us since the code just about the same in all platforms. (Well, except for OS X of course, which has to do everything different)

I’m sure we can eventually come up with something that will work but it really annoys me that what has worked for an apparent decade plus has suddenly become not-right without even a by-your-leave.

tim
"Yummy" said Pooh, as he rotated Piglet slowly on the spit.