[Vm-dev] Too many full GCs in Cog/Spur ... while just drawing GUI ...

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 7 11:04:53 UTC 2016

Hi, there!

Bert and I discovered a maybe problematic behavior of the Spur-GC. In 4.6
and before, there was never a full GC when calling "ActiveWorld imageForm"
(as an extreme re-drawing benchmark) in an endless loop.

See this picture as an example:
<http://forum.world.st/file/n4888823/squeak-spur-gc-problem.png>

While the user may not notice that behavior for graphical updates, it is
annoying for sound glitches. In my system with a 120 ms buffer in
SoundPlayer, full GCs took 160 ms on average. And there were sound glitches.

There is something going on here with the new GC in Cog/Spur. Just take this
re-drawing example/benchmark as an indication for a configuration issue wrt.
today's image sizes, memory sizes, CPU speeds, etc.

I just want that my sound has no glitches while resizing a system window.
(Note that putting the sound player at a higher priority than the WeakArray
finalizer does not help.)

Best,
Marcel