[Vm-dev] Re: [commit][3665] Squeak is actually not DPI aware (yet?).

marcel.taeumel Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 7 11:12:46 UTC 2016

Hi Eliot,

Squeak is not DPI-aware. It does not scale fonts and icons based on DPI (and
maybe a factor). Hence, the operating system should do some generic scaling
so that the user is able to see something without needing a magnifiing
glass. :-D We do not even have a primitive to access the current DPI value
from within Squeak.

Indeed, after manual configuration, Squeak can be told to use bigger fonts,
icons, default windows sizes. Then, one could change this flag back to
"true". However, this requires manual effort.

The first thing I always have to do when downloading recent CogVMs, is to
open that manifest and change it DPI-awareness back to "false". :-) It's
kind of annoying.

So +1 for this update here.

Best,
Marcel