[Vm-dev] Re: Too many full GCs in Cog/Spur ... while just drawing GUI ...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:00:58 UTC 2016

Hi Marcel,

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 8:11 AM, marcel.taeumel <Marcel.Taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>

> Hi Eliot,
>
> where should volunteers start to read and understand the GC-related parts in
> the VM?

1. build a VMMaker image following the instructions in http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/build-image/
2. read the class comment for SpurMemoryManager
3. guided by the message protocols in SpurMemoryManager, drill down into the compaction algorithm, free space lists, etc
4. Bring questions to vm-dev

There are good papers on concurrent Mark-sweep.  I have two in my desk (references soon).
Clément has an idea for a compaction scheme that makes sense.  We would need to discuss the idea here.

I would prefer volunteers that have already completed a masters, or have equivalent experience.  But note that the Spur GC is (AFAIA) unique in supporting "lemming" debugging, the scheme to run the GC in a copy of the entire heap so that if there are bugs one simply takes other copys and debugs using the copy, instead of either trying to construct a reproducible case or trying to work backwards from a corrupted heap.  There's also a full leak checker, many assertions, etc.  so the development experience is pretty good.

> Best,
> Marcel