was Re: [Vm-dev] Simulator tutorial

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:13:42 UTC 2016

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 1:40 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 07-04-2016, at 8:33 AM, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For example, there is a professor at UCSF who has a project called ANTLR [1].
>
> A quick look leaves me a tad puzzled. For example I can’t quite work out what they mean by
> "	• subclasses can see the fields of their parent classes; in ST-80 these are private”
> since I’m reasonably sure my objects can see the instance variables defined in their parent classes.
> And no file format? Does chunk file format per changes/sources/fileouts not count?
> And they’re implementing it in java. Gulp.
>
> Most curious.
If they didn’t have questions, I don’t suppose they’d come. They seem nice.

>> After that, I’ll make what I learn about using the simulator the first video on http://www.ooplu.com, which will be the first of what will ultimately be hundreds.
>
> If you can make hundreds of good instructional videos we’ll all be very, very, happy. We were talking about this in the board meeting just yesterday.

Making videos is easy. Making a wiki application using Xtreams PEG grammars (i.e. PEGParser class >> grammarWiki) was hard. I had to figure out how to write an actor subclass to PEGActor. That, for me, was extremely difficult. http://www.ooplu.co <http://www.ooplu.co/>m as a web page doesn’t look like much, but it is now a bootstrapped Ajax wiki on top of Altitude called PEGWiki. Extending PEGWiki’s wiki grammar to include videos from Wistia [1] and making the videos is trivial compared to me trying to understand Michael and Martin’s agglomerations of blocks within blocks with stack arguments constructed by pragmas as single values in a dictionary. Oh my. Although I can use it, I still don’t really get it.

I’ll show it at my presentation.

Chris

[1] http://www.wistia.com <http://www.wistia.com/>