Repository name(s) [was Re: [Vm-dev] svn git bridge? ...]

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Apr 26 03:02:06 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 23, 2016, at 10:01 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    one very important question is what are the names of the top level git repository and sub modules?  Before you suggest something please check that the name isn't already used on github.
>>
>> Here are some suggestions
>>
>> http://cogvm.github.io/.com
>> http://backtothefuture.github.io/.com
>> https://opensmalltalkvm.github.io/com
>
> Or github.com/
>                   cogvm
>                   backtothefuture
>                   opensmalltalkvm
> of course

Technically...

Previous discussion on moving to git raised the concern about being
tied too tightly to a particular third party infrastructure.  To guard
against this, in case moving on from github to another git service is
required in the future, consider using a custom second-level domain
per [1] rather than the default third-level one under github.io.
So...

cog.com|.net|.org|.io and cogvm.com|.net are all taken[2].
cogvm.org|.io are both available. "io" is where all the trendy kids
hang out these days"
However I believe its better to avoid competing against another holder
of the primary .com.

backtothefuture.com|.net|.org are all taken [2]
backtothefuture.io is available.

opensmalltalkvm.com|.net|.org|.io are all available.  I believe its
best to grab the lot, or at least .com redirected to the one you use,
to avoid anyone swooping in later to repurpose the primary domain.

Philosphically...

IIUC the repository is more than just cog, containing also the classic
interpeter. So cogvm seems a bit narrow in scope.

backtothefuture initially struck me as too loaded with insider
meaning, but its since grown on me as a sense of innovation plus
history, and an invitation to the broader programming community
perhaps dissatisfied with their status quo.  However branding wise you
it competes against the popular movie with backtothefuture having 541
Mgoogs**.  So the project could end hidden in the noise.  Maybe
consider bttfvm(160 googs), btfvm(2000 googs).

OpenSmalltalkVM reminds me of the tagline 'Eliot Miranda to deliver
the keynote presentation "Cog - The Open Source Smalltalk VM" '  that
caught my eye recently [3]. This resonated with me as being very
inclusive and marketable in broadening Cog's user base to attract
outside interest.

> Wouldn't it be good to have it under:
> https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/ ?

The VM today is used also by Newspeak and Pharo. We all do mostly our
own thing at the Image level, but we share the VM.  It would be nice
to have a more generic project name to encompass this.

Also Eliot and Clement are doing invovative VM design that could
appeal to a broader community as mentioned by Chris[4]. A VM less tied
to a specific program run on it might facilitate outsider
participation (i.e. $$) directly in the VM rather than just taking the
new ideas elsewhere.

And completely wild speculation... imagine Dolphin went open source
for lack of a 64 bit VM and it was easiest for them to move their
Image over to adopt Cog as their VM.  Picking up even one more user of
the VM could be worth rebranding. Maybe this is not likely, but its
less likely with the VM branded for particular Image not their own.

cheers -ben

** goog - measure of world uniqueness per google search results.
[1] https://help.github.com/articles/using-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/
[2] https://www.namecheap.com/domains/whois.aspx
[3] http://www.ooplu.com
[4] http://forum.world.st/Simulator-tutorial-tp4888841p4888883.html