[Vm-dev] New Cog VMs available

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:28:47 UTC 2016

Hi Clément,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So after *really* struggling I profiled Holger's code.
>
> I put results in attachment with version 3427 and version 3684 of the VM.
>
> Holger said the code is not open-source, so if you want more information
> about the code ask him (or I guess I can answer if it's for a specific
> method).
>
> The code execution is well spread around the methods. It's difficult to
> conclude.
>
> It seems (I say, it seems) that the execution spend more time in recent
> versions in PICs.
> It could be that the machine code produced there is different because of:
> - the abstraction with 32/64 bits
> - the abstraction over literals for ARM
> - the design changes, if I understood correctly now PIC are created from a
> prototype.
> Now it could be something else.
>
> I have no time to investigate further right now. Maybe we should try to
> generate PICs in 3427 and 3684 and check if the machine code is different.
> Which VMMaker version is 3427 ?
>
> What do you guys think ?

It could be the longer jump in the new PICs, but I really doubt it.  But
there's something wrong with the VM profiler on linux.  It is not showing
any code in the interpreter run-time, and that might be hiding the real
reason.  I'll look at this as soon as I have time, but am committed to
other things today and tomorrow.

best, Eliot