[Vm-dev] Pi vm builds need a priority checker applet

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 18 17:02:03 UTC 2016

> On 18-08-2016, at 9:39 AM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>

> Shall we just open the vm with `sudo -E` on ARM platforms in the 5.1 release? This seems to be a reasonable solution for now. Usually, a user will be prompted to enter a password and we can explain why. Once we figure out a better solution, we can iterate :)

No, I don’t think that is a good way to go; it leaves files with root ownership etc. We need to include the little test program and use it and do the sudo thing only when needed.  For the Pi scratch stuff I use this snippet -

# find the latest vm
SQVM=`ls /usr/lib/squeak/5.0-20*/squeak|sort -r | head -1`
# and thus its directory
BIN=`/usr/bin/dirname $SQVM`
$BIN/TestPiPriority > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
      WRAPPER="sudo -E”
fi

The problem is that you then need a secondary shell script to actually fire up squeak because (so far as I can work out) you can’t do
$WRAPPER LD_LIBRARY_PATH=“$PLUGINS:$SVMLLP:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}” $GDB “$BIN/squeak” etc
And an attempt at
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=“$PLUGINS:$SVMLLP:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}” $WRAPPER $GDB “$BIN/squeak” etc
didn’t work either.

Anyone that knows how to solve this anything like ‘properly’ would be a real hero.

tim
Oxymorons: Political science