[Vm-dev] buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh fails on Mac

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Aug 19 19:32:31 UTC 2016

I just tried running the vmmaker-build script on my iMac with weirdly bad results.

The vm it downloads is the CogSpur.app-16.18.3692 version. Whilst trying to do the update part of the process I had several *very* odd failures where an object in a block was mistaken for nil during a message send. For example in a progress bar update (which I can’t provide a log for since the log got overwritten later) a line
(bars at: index)
lead to a nil is not indexable halt. Yet in inspecting the prior stackframe the bars object was a perfectly normal array of progress bars. A similar but not identical problem happened during another attempt.

Attempting to filein the BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMaker.st file failed when the vm exploded with no visible log.

Now I’m attempting to repeat that with a new 5.1rc1 vm & already up to date 5.1rc1 image. Which has sorta-worked, in a rather odd manner. It got to the final save and quit but when I start the supposedly prepared image  there is a problem with it trying to filein that file. I can’t tell right now if it relates to the manual filein I started or if something got added as a deferred action? Or maybe it’s a side-effect of the filein having a save & quit? Not come across this before.