[Vm-dev] Minheadless VM flavour status update

Ronie Salgado roniesalg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 19:02:14 UTC 2016

Hello,

I just compared size of VM: 1.3 mb vs 4 mb (current PharoVM). It is really
> nice result.

This probably because I am building with a less number of internal plugins.

> btw… I do not think the VM should open any windowing system in any way.
> This should be a task performed at image level, IMO.

I agree. I am doing the SDL2 backend as a stepping stone until we can get
rid completely of it.  With this VM, to disable the legacy backend
completely is just a matter of building with the
-DSUPPORT_TRADITIONAL_DISPLAY=Off.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I did basic embedding interface available at:
https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/MinimalisticHeadless/include/SqueakVirtualMachine.h
. For usage ordering, take a look at the squeak_main function at:
https://github.com/ronsaldo/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/MinimalisticHeadless/platforms/minheadless/common/sqVirtualMachineInterface.c
. My main(and WinMain) functions are used to only call  squeak_main.

Best regards,
Ronie