[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Compiling Pharo to C++

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Feb 16 13:28:54 UTC 2016

> Unreal assumes that you either write C++ code
> or using their own scripting language "Blueprint".

Not entirely true [1]....
[1] https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?3958-Scripting-Language-extensions-via-plugins

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure C++ compilation is the best way ? There are a lot of flaws:
> Smalltalk needs to be restrictive or will be compiled to very slow code, you
> will loose debugging features, etc.
>
> I would try to integrate Pharo the same way lua is integrated in engines
> like Source2 from valve: you run your Unreal engine and have it call Pharo
> as a scripting language to code some features.

Something like [2], scrolling down to the #include ?
[2] http://accu.org/index.php/journals/351

What would be the Cog equivalent of...?
    lua_State* L = lua_open();

and what would be a good starting point to look at this?
  main() and fakevm() in threadValidate.c [3] seem to lay out a basic structure.
[3] https://git.io/vg7bn

I see interpret() called from:
* platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMainNoDisplay.c [4] and
* iOS/vm/Common/Classes/sqSqueakMainApplication.m [5]
but can't see where this is implemented.

[4] https://git.io/vg5fB
[5] https://git.io/vg5JS

I guess the new SDL derived headless mode mentioned recently would
help with embedding Pharo in another program?

cheers -ben