[Vm-dev] FFI related musings

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Feb 19 04:46:08 UTC 2016

While musing on FFI interfacing issues like C++ name mangling, I found
an interesting article "Beautiful Native Libraries" about the other
side of the fence of designing a nice library interface. I learnt some
things maybe of interest to others - perhaps for pushing upstream into
external libraries to ease their use by our FFI.
http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2013/8/18/beautiful-native-libraries/
Some of the ideas seem applicable to maybe one day helping the VM be
embeddable in other programs.

Also, for the occasional idea of in-Image parsing of C include files,
a link to a basic algorithm for macro expansion.
http://www.spinellis.gr/blog/20060626/

And while I haven't read the following, it was interesting to skim
"Calling conventions for different C++ compilers and operating
systems"
http://www.agner.org/optimize/calling_conventions.pdf

cheers -ben