[Vm-dev] Re: Overhead in mczs, MCVersionInfo

Stephan Eggermont stephan at stack.nl
Wed Jan 6 01:41:40 UTC 2016

On 06/01/16 01:39, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> This is great news.  Thanks!  A few questions:
>
> - can you describe where and in what form the MCDefinitions are now stored?

The definitions are stored in a set at (squeaksource) project level.
Each definition in the MCVersion snapshot is looked up there.

The deduplication of MCVersionInfos was too radical, I've ignored the
difficult ancestry reconstruction cases there for now.

> - is the conversion process from one version to another automated yet?

No.

> - is there any reason not to update Monticello to use your scheme
> immediately?

First goal was an archive format for code analysis. For that, it is a
nice experiment. Loading and saving a whole archive takes a while, much
more than just one mcz.

Stephan