[Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] Re: Can OSProcess functionality be
implemented using FFI instead of plugin?
leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sun Jan 17 15:28:18 UTC 2016
On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
(Again no quote.)
My question was obviously unrelated to the plugin with the constants.
I was just wondering if there's a reason to use FFI instead of OSProcess.
Based on your answers, I assume that
- Your solution is Unix/Mac only, since dup and dup2 don't work on
Windows. At least they didn't work when I wrote the ProcessWrapper plugin.
- You have the drawbacks of non-blocking streams: polling, repeated write
- You have to solve the problem of different platforms (constant values,
library names and paths, etc), something that OSProcess handles by
All this makes me wonder:
- Why do you want this FFI-based solution at all?
- How will it be better than OSProcess?
- If you decide to make a plugin as well to tackle some of the problems,
why make it a mixed solution instead of plugin-only?
More information about the Vm-dev