[Vm-dev] Re: [Poll] Who is interested in, thinking about, or already contributing to a 64-bit OpenSmalltalk VM for Windows?

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 20:39:22 UTC 2016

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I suppose there are several places in some low-level parts of Cog/Jit where
> Long and Pointer-Type are used interchangeably. One would have to fix that
> first. Only then, we can start caring for interfacing the win-api
> correctly.
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>

> Hi Marcel,
I've rewiewed all usage of long and unsigned long and fixed that already in
VMMaker.
But who knows if I didn't forget a place...
I've generated the spursrc and spur64src with these changes.
I must change the platforms files simultaneously because the angle of
attack I choosed is to use the C Compiler warnings. They are very helpful.

I'll publish the VMMaker part on
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/nice/NiceVMExperiments/main when I have time
(maybe tomorrow).
 Then to source.squeak.org when enough tested. (Reminder: check the VM
simulator before publishing).

I'll continue to introduce the platforms changes as long as they are
compatible with other squeak builds, in a very atomic manner. I prefer this
kind of integration to a long lived feature branch. Long lived branches
tend to stall, require rebase and as such are difficult to share. They also
focus less attention than direct commit to master. It's great to have
comments and questions (by the way, thanks Ben, Henrik, Dave, etc...).

cheers